We want to say thank you to our outgoing Guest Curator, Luisa Del Giudice, Ph.D.! If you missed a chance to see her fantastic artifacts, please stop by the Guest Curator Archive Page. You can also examine all of our past Guest Curator’s as well.
Welcome to our Guest Curator, Ruth Stotter!
A storyteller and folklorist, prior to retirement Ruth was active in the Folk Narrative and Children’s Folklore sections of the American Folklore Society. From 1988-1998 she produced The Storyteller’s Calendar to draw attention to the link between art objects and the oral tradition.
As this site illustrates, artifact collections often have intensely personal connections. In 1980, a grant from the Alaskan Art Council to perform and teach in six Yup’ik villages in southwest Alaska changed my life. When I returned to California, Sonoma professor Hector Lee invited me to present my experiences at an AFS annual meeting — which led to pursuing a graduate degree in Storytelling and Folklore. The Alaskan Yup’ik objects posted here were gifts or purchases while I was on this embryonic transformational journey.
If you are a folklorist or a collector of folklore/popular culture artifacts, please consider becoming a Guest Curator. Your objects will be highlighted here on a rotating basis.
All we ask is that the objects be yours, you have a photograph of the objects, and all or most of the information about the object (see the guidelines below, for more details).
Guest Curator Guidelines:
1. Artifacts must fall within the subject of our website (folklore, folk art, popular culture, etc).
2. Artifacts must be a part of your own personal collection.
3. Submissions must be limited to no more than five artifacts.
4. Submissions must contain a photograph of the artifact, as well as the title, purpose, country of origin, culture , materials, and dimensions of the artifact.
5. We also would like your photograph and a brief biography to accompany the collection.
Please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org and write Guest Curator in the subject line for further information or with any questions. We cannot wait to highlight your collection!